Breaking News: Shooting in Half Moon Bay leaves at least 7 dead – Scot Scoop News

Audrey Finigan, Staff Writer
Emergency vehicle lighting / Highway patrol images/ Wikimedia Foundation / CC BY 2.0
Multiple shootings in Half Moon Bay resulted in at least seven deaths.
Seven people are dead, and one is critically injured after two shootings occurred near Highway 92 in Half Moon Bay, California. 
Later, the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office announced in a press conference that the suspect, 67-year-old Half Moon Bay resident Zhao Chunli, was in custody as of 4:40 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 23.
According to San Mateo County Sheriff Christina Corpus, there’s no longer any threat to the community, as he is believed to have acted alone. 
Police were first alerted of the shooting at Mountain Mushroom Farm at 2:22 p.m. According to a press conference, Corpus states this was a workplace shooting. The farm employed Chunli, and the victims were his coworkers.
The aftermath at this location included four dead and one fatally injured.
Later, three more victims were found dead at a separate location which was identified as the 2125 block of Cabrillo Highway South. The injured victims were en route to Stanford Medical Center.  
Chunli was found and apprehended in his car with a semi-automatic rifle in front of the Half Moon Bay police station. He is currently booked in the San Mateo County Maguire Correctional Facility, according to a press release from the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office on Jan 24.
The Sheriff’s Office has no knowledge of anything suggesting Chunli would commit this act of violence.
He is facing seven counts of first-degree murder and one count of first-degree attempted murder.
The FBI, the Sheriff’s Office, and other assisting outside agencies continue investigating the crime.
*This is a breaking news story. The article will be updated with more information.
*Updated Jan. 23 at 8:08 p.m. PST 
*Updated Jan. 24 at 8:33 p.m. PST. The story now reflects the current status of the suspect.
News
Top News
News
OneShoreline aims to protect San Mateo County from the Changing Climate
News
‘Ear-resistible’ Year of the Rabbit celebrations promote diversity
News
A step toward sustainability: California bans single-use plastics in hotels
News
Missouri House dress code changes draw controversy
News
Recent rainfall impacts California’s ongoing drought situation
News
Local corner store up for sale as owner bids farewell to San Carlos
News
Breaking News: Carlmont student brings pellet gun onto campus
News
Breaking News: Fatal series of storms surge across the Bay Area
News
Overbookings put pet services on ‘paws’
News
UC strikers’ tentative agreement with California universities displays resurgence of unions

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

source